Henley Royal Regatta - Excellent Performance by Borlase Crews!
10 July, 2012
This year, at Henley Royal Regatta we qualified two boats:-
· A boys’ quad in the Fawley Challenge cup with Michael Tymofijiw, Jack Beaumont,Harry Shimmin and Max Coussens.
· A girls’ quad in the Womens’ Quadruple Sculls with Amber de Vere, Elisha Lewis, Helen O’Riordan and Gaby Halloran.
The Womens’boat had to do the qualifying races with the majority of the field and it was brutal racing for 5 spots out of the 8 in the overall event.
· In the first round they drew the national schools bronze medalists, Latymer Upper. In the race Latymer led from the start with our girls strongly in pursuit nevermore then 1 length clear water. Until half way, when they started to row through them and ended the race rowing the Latymer girls into submission with their stroke girl catching a crab ending in a Not rowed out verdict with Borlase getting safely into the semi final.
· In the semi final we drew Henley Rowing Club, (winners of Henley Womens’ two weeks before) and they again led us of the start. Our girls tried to push through at halfway again but the Henley girls were just too strong for them and the finalv erdict was a Henley win by 2 ¼ lengths. The Henley girls then went on to win the event.
The Boys boat went into the regatta as one of the 8 ‘selected’ crews of the 24 in the event. They all got to miss the first round of racing.
· Having their first race on the Thursday against Marlow B having a comfortable win,winning by 3 ¼ of a length never really having been pushed.
· The next day provided more of a challenge with Windsor Boys A. Staying just ¼ length behind us until we got out of the island and we just pushed away not taking it as easy this time and earning an ‘Easily’ verdict over Windsor Boys.
· On the Saturday, we were drawn against the holders Sydney who had come back with one returner and had been looking on similar form. This time of the start, they had ½ a length on us to the barrier being the first time we weren’t leading in the regatta. Eventually by halfway, we had pushed ahead and turned it into a one length lead. Our boys finally pushed away from them turning it into another Easy verdict putting us into the final.
· In the Final, we faced local rivals, Marlow Rowing Club. They had been silver medal position just behind us at National Schools at the beginning of June. It was all set up for a good final. In the end, we led from start to finish, however, the boys admitted it was by far the hardest race and the only one that they had to go flat out every stroke as Marlow refused to accept defeat. The final verdict was a Borlase win 3 ¼ lengths winning the Fawley Challenge cup.
Both crews showed great determination and perseverance. These were fantastic results for all involved; the first win at Henley Royal Regatta 2012 for a full Borlase crew. Congratulations to all crew members – amazing performance !!